South Alberta High School is an online learning platform that is a great option for those students who want the flexibility to learn at their own pace and complete the requirements necessary to achieve credit in the Biology 20 course.
Biology 20 is divided into the following 9 modules of approximate weighting for each unit and exam:
- Module 1: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- Module 2: Cellular Respiration, Muscles & Respiratory
- Module 3: Respiratory and Circulation Introduction
- Module 4: Circulation and Immunity
- Module 5: Immunity and Digestion
- Module 6: Digestion and Excretion
- Module 7: Excretory and Intro to Ecology
- Module 8: Evolution & Ecology
- Module 9: Biogeochemical Cycles
- Final Exam
An approximate allocation of time per unit can be seen below:
|Topic of Instruction||Approximate Time|
|Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration||15%|
|Ecosystems & Population Change||25%|
|Energy & Matter Exchange in the Biosphere||20%|
Module Assignments & Quizzes worth 5% each for a total of 45%
(4) Unit Exams 40%
Final Exam worth 15%
Formative assessment is an evaluation tool to determine strengths and weaknesses in understanding the content delivered. This form of evaluation, called “assessment FOR learning,” will not be utilized in their final grade. Formative practice questions are assigned at the end of each concept, where students are asked to keep their work in their notebooks.
Summative assessment is an evaluation practice that allows the students to identify their understanding of the learning. We call this an “assessment OF learning.” All efforts are made in this course to enable the students to succeed. Thus, these assignments are given opportunities for their comprehension of the material. There are summative quizzes throughout the course (minor assessments), and a unit exam at the end of each unit.
- A scientific non-graphing calculator is required for this course.
- You m
- ay use a graphing calculator if you have one
- Ritter et al. Biology. Nelson Publishing Co., 2007
Please ensure you are set up for Alberta Education MYPASS. https://public.education.alberta.ca/PASI/mypass/welcome This is where you will be able to see your final mark stored on your detailed academic report with Alberta Education upon completion of the course.
Online Sessions – Your daily lessons and assignments will be available on our Google Classroom Portal.
Student/Teacher Communication – Teachers at Prairie Rose will grade your work.