Course Outline Sport Psychology
South Alberta High School is an online learning platform that is a great option for those students who want the flexibility to learn at their own pace and complete the requirements necessary to achieve credit in the Sport Psychology course.
Earn up to 3 credits.
This course is divided into the following 3 units of equal weighting:
Module 1 – Sport Psychology 1
- In the first part of the course, the focus of instructors Bob Wilkie and Shawn O’Grady will set the stage for the students. An athlete’s mental and emotional development is vital to walking a successful path. Many new experiences will be encountered. This can develop unhealthy patterns of behavior. The students will be introduced to the importance of mental health and the five most important components to begin to grow.
Module 2 – Sport Psychology 2
- Part two of the course is where we shift the focus of character development to the importance of balance and perspective. Any aspiring athlete needs to develop the ability to manage stress and pressure. This becomes possible when they have an awareness of themselves and their surroundings. This process begins the development of belief in themselves and their abilities and grows the confidence to face and overcome the mental and emotional challenges they will encounter.
Module 3 – Sport Psychology 3
- The third and final part of the course introduces the students to develop new processes to help them achieve new levels of success. We will introduce the power of visualization and self-care strategies. The students will learn the importance of effective time management and be given tools to use as they strengthen the new mental muscles they have been introduced to throughout this course.
- The states of being – mental, emotional, physical
- Introduce students to their stress response system, what it can cause, and how to manage it and use it for growth
- How mental health translates to mental wellness and ultimately to mental performance
- Inform the need for daily practice, identify areas where they can use these skills, and create a balanced lifestyle.
- Explain the five most important aspects every athlete should know. Preparation, visualization, focus, emotional control, and habit development
- We will explain the seven levels of awareness and help the students develop practical time-management skills.
- After the course, the student will have a greater understanding of the importance of the mental and emotional skills to develop to use to reach their goals.
Special Guest/Content Creator
Bob is a former NHL athlete. He is the founder of I Got Mind Inc and has been helping athletes develop mental and emotional skills for over 20 years.
Shawn is a mental health clinician and has been working in private practice for over 15 years, helping athletes learn about mental health and how that translates to enhanced performance.
Online Sessions – Your daily lessons and assignments will be available on our Google Classroom Portal.
Student/Teacher Communication – Teachers at Prairie Rose will grade your work.